Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolution: Table Manners




True to form, here is a hodgepodge item that was truly handmade... Dream Roll

I have made this dessert 4 times.

First effort the recipe was wrong. I know how it sounds. Aunt Jaynie published the recipe with 1 TBS of salt. I thought it sounded crazy, but who I am I to question the published chef Aunt Jaynie.

Second try (same day as the salt overload) I forgot the sugar. I served it anyway trying to pull off European dark chocolate. No takers.

My third try I didn't sift the cocoa and thus there were weird bittersweet choco bullets. Very gross.

Seems new year carma is on my side. The 4th time is the charm.

We had the elders and an investigator over to ring in the new year (precisely at 6 p.m.). I guess my dessert looked pretty good. The grateful and nice teenager the missionaries brought over liked it so much he demanded I get back in the kitchen and make him another. I guess manners are not part of his charm.



Happy New Year!
Chocolate Dream Roll
Preaheat over to 375 degrees, grease pan, grease parchment paper.
In a lagre bowl mix and set set aside:
10 egg yolks
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 cup flour
3 TBS sifited cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
In mixer beat egg whites till very stiff. Fold into above ingredients.
Pour mixture into prepared 1/2 sheet cake pan (large cookie sheet).
Bake 15-20 minutes. Roll with whipping cream, frost with chocolate frosting or drizzle with fudge sauce.

0 comments: